Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Putting the Horses Before the Cart

Welcome.

This blog is dedicated to tracking the progress (and probable setbacks) of the complete and utter restoration of a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine. Well...more of a resto-mod.

To be honest, an Alpine wasn’t the first choice for this particular project but - in hindsight - it is perfect for what I’ve got planned [insert evil laughter here].

The idea of cramming a V8 into one of these LBCs (Little British Cars) sparked a few years ago during the restoration of my old ‘67 Triumph TR4A (see TR4ARestoration.BlogSpot.com). I didn’t want to veer too far from stock on that build, but V8 thoughts remained, haunting.

As many men throughout history have pondered, I too had thought How absurdly large of an engine can I put into a comically small chassis? Although the possibilities seemed endless, the amount of class and downright appropriateness whittled my choices to a mere handful:
         -   It would have to be a small block for size & weight considerations
         -   It would have to be common enough to make sense
         -   It would have to be period-correct to be ‘believable’

The Buick-Rover 215 Aluminum job seemed like a nice fit, but not really common enough to have adequate performance parts available. The Chevy 350 seemed too commonplace. A Ford 289/302 was a safe bet, but I wanted something more. I couldn’t put my finger on it, though. A certain something. Something that made a statement, something that piqued curiosity, something that reeked of performance and captured the essence of the 60’s. A Corvette motor? That was it. A Chevy 327 is so much more elegant than the ubiquitous 350. And performance to boot – 365 horses from a stock 327 in 1965, SOLD!

And ‘sold’ it was – I found nice short block on eBay and I had my engine. A 1965 Chevy 327, which I turned into a reproduction/modified L-76 that should pump out around 440 HP (I went straight past ludicrous and into plaid). I’ll dedicate a post solely to this engine and “Project HFS” later.

This was July 2011. I had my horses, but no cart to speak of.

Fast-forward to December 2011: I had mentioned the urge to use a TR4/4A as the cage for this mouse motor but, alas, I was having a hard time finding the right one. Also, the more I thought about the TR4, the less convinced I was that it was the right choice. It’s a strong car, but I worried about all the flex it had without strapping on an additional 300+ horses. That body-on-frame technology just wouldn’t do.

Enter the Sunbeam. I had originally ruled out the Sunbeam as a choice, based more on ignorance than anything else. I knew Tigers. I knew they had V8s. I also knew my budget – and Tigers were not in it. I knew of Alpines, but I didn’t know much. I kinda knew the Tiger was a derivative of the Alpine, but didn’t realize how similar they truly were. I didn’t really pay much attention to them until I saw how inexpensive they were. So I did some research. Parts seemed readily available, they’re lighter than the Triumphs, they’re unibody cars, and Bingo was his name-oh. The skies cleared and my mind was made up: the Sunbeam Alpine.

As luck would have it, I found a rust-free ’62 in SoCal on eBay the same day my revelation came to me and I bought it.

My 1962 Sunbeam Series II Alpine arrived on December 20, 2011.
 
And so the journey begins...

1 comment:

  1. Allow me to introduce the LE-MERIDIAN FINANCING SERVICES. the loan company that grant me loan of 5,000,000.00 USD When other loan investors has neglect my offer but Le_Meridian Funding Service grant me success loan.they are into directly in loan financing and project  in terms of investment. they provide financing solutions to companies and individuals seeking access to capital markets funds, they can helped you fund your project or expand your business.. Email Contact:::: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Also  lfdsloans@outlook.com or Write on whatsapp Number  on    1-(989-394-3740)Good Intend,

    ReplyDelete